Cyel's Journal: Week One - An Apothecaria Playthrough

Cyel's Journal, Week 1

I've finally arrived at the cottage on the outskirts of High Rannoc. It's a quaint little place, surrounded by a weedy garden plot and nestled between the Glimmerwood Grove and Meltwater Loch, with a beautiful view of the Moonbreaker Range.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find the cottage well-furnished and tidy. A cozy living room at the entry, with a fireplace, sofa and plush armchair. There is a kitchen, complete with a stove and wooden cabinets stocked with cooking supplies. A potion room with the basics; mortar and pestle, cauldron, and alembic for distillation.

The bedroom is quite small with a comfy bed and small wardrobe. But what's most striking is the lack of personal effects. Not a single item belonging to the previous witch seems to remain.

There was a note on the kitchen table that started with, "If you're reading this, I'm probably missing...or dead." A bit creepy.

However, the note also mentioned that High Rannoc is a nice place with nice people and that I am here to help them with any ailments that may befall them. She also left a list of reagents along with descriptions on where to find them and what symptoms they help treat. That is very helpful

I can't help but wonder what happened to the former witch of High Rannoc. And now, it seems, the responsibility of this village falls to me. 


A villager named Roan Gambury came to my cottage, seeking my help. He said he had been dealing with a nasty cold and was having strange dreams every night of running into the arms of a beautiful woman. I suspected he's been charmed by some kind of vampiric enchantment.

After reviewing the previous witch's reagent list, I believe a potion made from nest scraps, cynic ivy, and deep reed could help break the spell. The nest scraps should be easy to find in the Glimmerwood Grove, the cynic ivy in the Moonbreaker Mountains, and the deep reed at Meltwater Loch.

I was a bit nervous to be taking on my first patient so quickly, but I was determined to help. I told Roan to rest on the sofa while I ventured out to collect the necessary ingredients and that he was welcome to any food available in the kitchen. 


I quickly set out for the Moonbreaker Mountain and as I neared the towering peak, I spotted a bright, colorful hot-air balloon tethered at the base. To my surprise, the pilot was a woman named Holana Wexcott, and she scared me half to death with how she popped out of the basket.

A photograph of a foggy mountain range
Photo by Ojas Vyas on Unsplash

The pilot's name was Holana. She was an older woman with weathered features and crooked teeth. She was also very friendly and, after I mentioned my purpose there, she offered me a ride partway up the mountain.

I hesitated, I am a bit afraid of heights, but I couldn't turn down such a generous offer.

The journey was both breathtaking and unnerving. Holana's piloting was fast and I felt out of control. She aimed the balloon augment the wind, propelling us higher with each burst of the flame. My stomach churned with each bob and twist of the balloon basket and I don't know if Holana's smile was because of my terror or if she was just enjoying the flight. She mentioned that she holds the record as the fastest flight to the summit.

She landed us on a large outcrop about a third the way up and she mentioned that not many plants grow higher than this and this location would allow me to work my way down instead of up.

She mentioned that she hoped to see me again and waved a hearty goodbye before the balloon quickly disappeared into the clouds.

After my stomach settled, I began my search for some cynic ivy. The path down was steep and treacherous, but I pressed on.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of hooves clopping quickly across stones and boulders. I turned around just in time to see a very large mountain billy goat charging at me.

I ran as fast as I could and tried to use any boulders hide my location from the goat but I just kept moving. I managed to find an opening that brought me inside of a fairly large cave. Luckily, I heard the goat clopping away, probably happy to be rid of the intruder.

The cave was illuminated by the sun streaming through an opening near the ceiling. I imagined the goat sticking his head through and finding me but I avoided that horror.

Where the sun illuminated the wall of the cave was covered in vines and roots and upon closer inspection, I found the cynic ivy I was looking for.

As I gathered the cynic ivy, I felt a soft rumble beneath my feet. I looked around the empty cave, but there was no sign of anything that could be causing the vibration. I placed my hand against one of the large stones lining the walls and was surprised to feel a steady, pulsing vibration.

The memory of my studies at the Academy clicked - these stones belonged to a defunct stone golem! I began to examine the cave, searching for any signs or markings that would direct how to reactivate the golem. Sure enough, faint carvings could be seen on the scattered stones, runes of the spell that had once brought the guardian to life.

A functional golem at my disposal would be an incredible to have around the cottage. With time and the right research, I think I may be able to get this one up and running again. But not now. I gathered the cynic ivy and made my way back down the mountain, knowing I had two other reagents to gather.


After coming down from the mountain, I headed to Glimmerwood Grove. The forest was serene and the sounds of nature sang, a departure from the cold, rocky terrain of the mountain.

I wandered deeper and deeper into the forest until I came upon a beautiful sun-kissed courtyard. Colorful, yet weathered, bricks covered in sparkling hanging mosses surrounded the clearing here. In the center of the courtyard sat a graceful elf upon a golden throne.

He said his name was Talaros and invited me to take a seat next to him. He asked me why I was wandering the Grove. I told him that I was the new witch at High Rannoc and that I was in search of nest scraps to help Roan.

Talaros said he loves stories and that everyone, every place, and everything has a story. He said that he would tell me a story if I offered him a gift. I told him that I only have a reagent that I needed for my patient but I gave him a feather from one of my earrings as a small token.

Talaros smiled and went into a long story about how birds were once guides in spirit realm and how even now they often carry spirits to where they need to be in order to cross over. He told me how many of the local birds visit him and tell stories of their own. Then he pointed towards the western wall of the courtyard and said that on the other side I could find the nest scraps I needed.

Two reagents down and only one to go. I thanked Talaros and he mentioned that he hopes we cross paths again. I said it was certain as I am sure my duties will bring me to Grove again.

Then I was off to Meltwater Loch.


Meltwater Loch was as massive as it was peaceful. The calm waters served as a beautiful mirror reflecting the Moonbreaker Range that dominated the backdrop. I began my search by walking the shoreline with the only noise being the quick buzzing of a dragonfly or other insect as it passes me.

It didn't take too long for me to find a patch of the reeds protruding from the shallow water along the shore. I took a bundle of about 7 or 8 reeds and tied the bundle with some twine and slung it over my shoulder.

Suddenly, a tremendous roar deafened the silence over the loch. I spun around in terror to see a crimson scaled serpent towering out of the water. So large that it blocked the sun and put me into its shadow. I froze in fear as it roared again, its giant maw lined with rows of sharp fangs. Bas Bata. The name of the mythical beast escaped my lips before I turned and fled, scrambling up the rocky hillside next to the loch. I felt that at any moment that Bas Bata was going to snatch me off that hillside. To my surprise, I crested the hill at great speed. So great that I tumbled down the other side, collecting scrapes and bruises before I came to a rest in the small valley between hills.

I sat there for hours, unwilling to move, the thought of the beast waiting for me weighed on my mind. The thought of all those pointed teeth crushing down on me. But then it dawned on me that the great beast must be ailing. As it opened its maw to roar, I could see the gums around one tooth inflamed and puffy. An infected tooth of that size must be really painful, even for a mythical beast like Bas Bata.


I returned to the cottage with all of the reagents I had gathered. Roan was pacing by the fireplace when I arrived. He seemed relieved when I walked through the door, saying that he wasn't sure if I was going to return.

I apologized for taking so long and got to work on the potion. First, I boiled the cynic ivy for some time to extract its properties. Then I added the dry, crushed nest scraps and the deep reeds, letting the mixture steep until it had a creamy, bright green color. I call it the Cynical Love Solution.

Roan eyed the potion and his face twisted when I handed it to him. He took a small sip and flinched, mentioning that it tasted like vinegar. I told him he had to take a bigger dose and he took a big gulp. Color returned to his face and he said that he felt a little better already. Roan payed for the potion and left immediately, wanting to finally return home.

I was proud to have helped my first patient so quickly after arriving here. The former witch's notes had served me well, and I still wonder what happened to her. I was also grateful for the discovery of the golem, the generosity of the Glimmerwood elf and the terrifying, yet awe-inspiring, encounter with Bas Bata. 


Thanks for reading my playthrough of Apothecaria.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apothecaria - The Solo Journaling Game That Wants to Keep You Playing

The Mansion Incident: Let's Talk About It